Easter Simnel Muffins
250g Mixed Dried Fruit
1 Orange, zest and juice
175g Butter, softened
175g Golden Caster Sugar
3 Eggs, beaten
300g Carr’s Self Raising Flour
1½ tsp Mixed Spice
½ tsp Nutmeg, freshly grated
5 tbsp Milk
200g Icing Sugar
1 Lemon, juice
Mini Chocolate Eggs
- Tip the fruit into a bowl, add the orange zest and juice and leave to soak for 1 hour.
- Line 12 deep muffin tins with muffin cases. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/Fan 160ºC/Gas 4.
- Beat together the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, mixed spice, nutmeg and milk until light and fluffy, then stir the fruit in well.
- Cut 100g of marzipan into small pieces and stir into the cake mix.
- Divide the mix evenly between the muffin cases and bake for 25-30 minutes, until risen, golden and firm to touch. Leave to cool.
- Beat together the icing sugar and lemon juice to make icing thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- With the remaining marzipan, make 12 discs to fit on top of each muffin. Stick onto the top of each muffin with a little bit of icing and toast (brown off), either using a blow torch or placing under a hot grill, until golden.
- Allow the marzipan to cool then drizzle the icing over the top, add a cluster of eggs and leave to set.
For baking & cooking advice go to hints & tips or call our helpline 016973 33715